Everyone who knows me, knows I’m not a big fan of the FlexiLeash. But when it comets training, there’s a good use for it as I will show you in this lesson.
Max & Joey and Siggy and Yossi met me at the park and we wanted to work on an exercise called DOWN on RECALL. In this exercise you are about 50 or so feet away from your dog, you call your dog to you and 1/2 way in, you drop the dog. That is you tell your dog DOWN, and they must DOWN right where you told them.
This is a great exercise that can potentially save your dog’s life. I’ve done a video on it before, but this is a little different with these dogs, the situation as well as using the Flexi leash. I hope you will learn this lesson and practice it but NEVER need it in an emergency, such as your dog is running across the street to you and a car is coming.
Wishing you all a nice weekend and to all of you in the USA a happy Thanksgiving!
- Teach your dog to COME without stopping the dog.
- Teach the dog a solid down before you put it into this exercise.
- When calling DOWN.. walk toward your dog using spacial pressure to get them to stop.
- Reward the dog behind the dog to avoid crawling forward.
- Do more recalls than DROPS because you don’t want your dog predicting the DOWN and stopping before they get to you for a regular recall.