How to integrate a new puppy into your home with existing dogs

• How to integrate a new puppy into your home with existing dogs

Posted by William on September 24, 2021 at 9:37 AM

Getting a new puppy. Wondering the best way to introduce him to my two existing dogs

Gene replied 3 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Ed

September 24, 2021 at 4:29 PM

We just did an introduction. I drove in the garage. Left the pup in the car. Entered the house, greeted the dogs as usual. Spent a few minutes with them and asked each to their own crate in the living room. Then brought in the pup, already in a crate and put him in his crate also in the same room (I carried the crate from the garage with him in it, as I did not want to give him freedom in the house as a first action). Took the older dog out and had a small cuddling session with him in the front of the other dogs. Back in the crate he went. Took dog number 2 and had the small cuddling session. Back in the crate. Took the pup and had a small cuddling session with him too. Back in the crate. Let the two older dogs out while the new pup remained in the crate. After a bit of time I created a small pen with wire dividers where I got in and played a bit with the pup while the other dogs watched from the outside, all in the same room. I do not remember exactly what we did after that. It took 3 days for dog #1 to accept the new pup and 4 days for the other dog. It could have taken a lot longer. During the first 2 weeks most of the interaction between them would take place outside in the lawn once or twice a day in 15-20 min sessions. The old dogs pretty much avoided the pup in the first few days and gradually warmed up to him. I think it was important to have them in a setting they loved, outside where they can chase and play with each other while easily avoiding the pup. You ballance all of it. It is week 4 now and play is still supervised. I make sure the pup is not imposing too much on the other dogs. This will probably continue for the foreseeable future. Each has their own tolerance level. The pit wants piece and quiet. The rottie likes to play, but also needs a break every so often. So you are the governor of their behavior (like a truck that has a governor limiting the speed) and how well the relationship turns out depends on how you read each dog, when you intervene and when you let things develop.

• Gene

September 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM

Not too much to add here, just make sure that the new pup knows that he is the low member of the pack for the time being. When in their crates he is the last to be let out, if you feed them together his bowl goes down last, giving treats he gets his last. When the dogs are on the furniture he is not aloud for a few days or let him up for a short time then off, etc. etc.