Raw Feeding 101

• Raw Feeding 101

Posted by Arlington on January 23, 2021 at 9:00 AM

Firstly hats off to Rob for giving us the opportunity to share, learn and discuss.

I created this thread for those of us who have working dogs or pet dogs to share information on raw feeding. Recipes, sourcing ingredients and finding suppliers, supplements, trouble shooting, and general health and fitness. With the core video Rob showed today, I thought that this will be a good thread to start.

This my working line standard poodle, he is almost one year and fully raw fed.

i will start this thread off by asking what natural flea and tick remedies do you all use or add to your dogs food? he does duck hunting and trailing so ticks are a concern of mine. As a science student, i have read some of the research on some of the known flea and tick pesticides, so for the most part I avoid them.

Cheri replied 3 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Logan C.

January 23, 2021 at 6:05 PM

I don’t know a whole lot about raw feeding but I do know that if your town has a butcher, you may be able to make a deal with them. Butchers will throw out things like skins, tallow, organs etc. but you can make a deal to buy the scraps at a lower price.

Since the goal is to get as close to the dogs ancestral diet as possible, it is important to get things like organs and skin into the diet.

I’ve also read to grind bones into bone dust and sprinkle it into the food. It provides a source of calcium and wolves typically get this when they’re chewing on the bones.

In order to mimic the vegetables present In the stomach of a wolves prey, you can blend veggies up into a purée and mix it into the meat.

Different types of game meat are best on a dog’s digestive system such as: rabbit, dear, elk etc.

You can cut up whole beef livers into bite sized pieces and freeze them. You can use these for training treats. I haven’t tried this but I’m willing to bet that it works pretty good.

• oldSAP-Charlie

January 24, 2021 at 6:04 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFWFFzqAs7O/?igshid=4gyfxpxmu2ji
    i started raw feeding when i noticed my mal was always bloated and was pooping a lot (and very wet)
    i made, for myself, an excel file which computes the percentages of meat, liver, offal, bones so that the meal i give is “almost” complete. i made a screenshot below. it counts the number of calories too.
    i try to follow the 80% meat 10% bones, 5% liver, 5% offal recipe. i also add a teaspoon of calcium (from ground egg shells) and multivitamin powder.

• Tommy

January 25, 2021 at 1:23 AM

I have been doing raw feeding since 2000, 20 years and 200 dogs later I absolutley don’t feel I am a expert but I have some experience.

I feel that raw feeding is best/only way for the most hardworking dogs.

This is a simplified version of how I feed my sledddogs.

I find it easiest to use a base of 30-50% pellets and 50-70% meat/fish products (fatty fish) I add fat accordingly to the outside temperature, and work load.

On longer work sessions I give the dogs snacks about every 120-150 minutes (high on fat and protein (maximum about 100 grams) this way I can give about 8000- 12 000 calories every day, if needed.

Don’t do the snack thing before taking to a veterinarian, some types of dogs will not survive .

• Tommy

February 6, 2021 at 1:13 AM

Breakfast smoothie for sledddogs,

Important to prevent dehydration.

1/3 gallon. Heated to just above body temperature.

(Leftover from a slaughterhouse+water)

• Amanda4283

January 25, 2021 at 8:23 PM

Fortunately I live in the desert so fleas and ticks aren’t a problem. I bet you could find an essential oil blend to spray or even use Paul Mitchell Tea Trea dog shampoo. I can’t think of anything food wise that would help.

Charlie I LOVE your spreadsheet. We started on Answers premade then diy until she got horrendous runs. I switched back to premade (Answers, Albright’s and Bones & Co) and I’m pretty sure I narrowed her reaction down to turkey.

I couldn’t imagine feeding 12k calories a day – my bank account is sad at 2100! Ha!!

• Tommy

January 26, 2021 at 12:01 PM

12 000 calories is in extreme cases, 5500-6500 is more everyday feeding. Cold weather and high workload demand a high calorie diet.

Right now it is -4 degrees farenheit and about 4-5 feet of snow , 4 miles to the closest road. This mins a lot of work for my sledddogs and I.

Raw feeding is not very expensive her in Norway , I and some friends get together and shop in large amounts.

• Amanda4283

January 26, 2021 at 8:25 PM

Hey just came by this video from Answers Pet Food. They have a cheese that helps repel fleas and ticks….

https://youtu.be/YDZRRIjGdgU

• oldSAP-Charlie

January 26, 2021 at 10:23 PM

may i ask what amount of percentage of your dog’s current/ideal weight for specific age and activity do you follow/suggest?
    my malinois who is trained 2-3x a day and walks/runs a total of 45-60mins a day weighs around 65lbs and his height is 26 inches. i give him a total of 2.6lbs of raw food a day. he doesn’t look thin or over weight. i’m just wondering if this is too much/little for him.

• Amanda4283

January 27, 2021 at 8:13 PM

I go based of my dogs calculated calorie requirement. I used to feed based off body weight percentage until it dawned on me that each protein offers a different amount of calories. Since I started this my girl (still a pup) is still gaining steadily and her body condition looks good.

https://www.petnutritionalliance.org/dog.php

• Cheri

March 4, 2021 at 6:18 PM

Hi everyone. Harold and I have fed Rio raw since we brought him home at 7 weeks. I make Rio’s food myself. I’ve studied and researched raw diets so I could provide the healthiest diet to our dogs. The dog food is 90% meat (the fattiest parts with organ meat) and 10% cooked mashed vegetables. I let Rio eat until he walks away. The older Rio gets the fewer times per day I am offering food. At 11 months now, Rio is offered food at 9am and 3pm only. Each meal contains 3 lbs. Some days Rio puts down every bit and other days he leaves some food in the bowl. I let Rio decide how much to eat. When Rio stops growing – soon I hope – we’ll only feed Rio in the mornings.

Regarding fleas… my understanding is these little pests are attracted to sugars. Dogs that are on strictly raw diets without carbs or other sugars (carrots, fruits, etc) shouldn’t have a problem with fleas.

Love this topic.